Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Tumbleweeds and Crickets

There is a blanket of fresh new snow all over everything outside this morning. The sun is just coming up. Its beautiful!

I can tell by the weather that work is going to be as dead as it was yesterday. How do you look as though you are doing something constructive when you aren't?? Everything has been organized, sorted, cleaned, moved, dusted, alphabetized, and scrubbed nine times over.... The place looks like we are prepared for surgery...

The Old Man brought in a radio, but the Nose keeps switching it off. He has a psyche thing about radios; apparently there used to be an elderly gent who worked there (he has since passed away, and get this - his ashes are in an urn on a shelf at the office!) who had a thing about music in the workplace. So, in deference to him, The Nose prohibits us from listening to the radio. Sometimes we sing to him to annoy him. Other times we just grumble to ourselves.

Usually it isn't really such an issue, but on these brutally long, dead, boring days... a little music would go a very long way towards preserving everybody's sanity.

I shouldn't complain, because I have a job, and I'm getting paid - whether I'm working my ass off, or whether I'm simply there... and, in truth, I'm not really complaining all that much.
It lets me get inside of my own head and be alone with my thoughts, which I like.

I spoke with a nurse from the Doc's office yesterday on the telephone. I gave her the phone number to the lab up here, and she was supposed to contact the lab, find out what they needed from her, and then get back to me. I got a voice mail from her after hours that didn't really tell me much at all. So I guess I'll give her a call today. I so just want to get this damned thing over with.

Off to work....

No comments: