Sunday, July 03, 2005

Sunshine, Birdsong, and Sore Feet

I slept in this morning, which was wonderful... Yesterday was a fairly full day, I worked my regular job until 1PM, and had a 1PM call for the bartendering job, which is dicey, but luckily my boss cut me loose a little early, so I was able to grab a little something to eat before heading out again.

By about halfway through the party, I was having a hard time standing... my feet were killing me.. I have apparently developed a condition called plantar fasciitis which is an inflamation of the tendon that runs from the heel to the toes. This is a little different from tendonitis, however... it is caused by numerous microtears of the fascia that are happening faster than the body's capability to heal itself. It is caused by prolonged standing, jumping, running, and shit like that... all of which I basically do on a daily basis. (I cannot sit at work... so there is no getting around it.. I suppose I will just have to either learn to live with this.. or find another job.) In any case, the pain is exponentially worse just after a period of rest, because the muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues tighten up and when you attempt to stand and put weight on your feet, it is absolutely excrutiating. It sort of feels as though someone beat the soles of your feet with a nigtstick until they were bruised purple.. and you are walking on broken glass.... yeah, sorta like that. When the condition has advanced somewhat, the pain worsens towards the end of the day... and this is what happens with me. I hobble in the morning.. and I hobble at night. It pisses me off, but I can't help it.

When I got home from tending bar, the plan was to quickly and quietly change into painting clothes and get my ass over to the apartment and work until I reached a good stopping point or a milestone of some sort, i.e., finished a room. Elysia caught me as I was slowly and painfully making my way down the stairs, and more or less put the kabosh on me helping out over there. She tries to fool me by making it sound as though she needs the break, but I know that she is looking out for me and trying to get me off of my feet. I could have put a few more hours of work in though... I think I could have gotten the entire kitchen at least primed and sealed judging by how much she had gotten done (she did a lot of work yesterday!). But, she insisted that we eat something and watch a movie, so that's what we did. It was nice to sit and hold her and just be close.

She surprised me with a brand new barbeque grill last night!! Our grill went tits up and we never replaced it. So now we are back in the cookout business!! As a matter of fact, we are going to have one today!

Its an absolutely gorgeous day here today! The sun is shining, and there's a light breeze blowing. Our garden is blooming with an incredible profusion of flowers of every color shape and size, and the birds are singing their feathered little asses off!! The windchimes are chiming, and I can smell the smells of ocean air, freshly cut grass, honeysuckle, and coffee. In short, it is a perfect day!

I hope it is just as wonderful where each of you are located. I know I have readers from all over the world who stop by here. Most of you just stop by and then continue on without leaving much of a trace. There are some of you who leave a comment now and again, and others who have become a part of my day... we have formed a little community, it seems, and I look forward to reading what each of you have say, whether as a comment here on my blog, or in the form of posts on your own. I laugh, I cry, I ruminate, and I carry your thoughts around in my head. For those of you who haven't yet taken the time to leave a comment or say anything, I invite you to take a minute and say hi. I like to hear from all of you folks.

Although we have a great deal of work that has to be done. I think today will be a day of relaxation and fun. We have a few clansmen (we are Scottish/Irish folk) coming over and we will eat and drink and talk and laugh. I will be able to stay off of my sore feet for a bit, so that's at least something, ay??

While I'm sitting here blathering, I hear Elysia ricocheting off the walls down there getting things done all alone. This can't be allowed to continue.. so I'm off to lend a hand. When you're a guy, and you have a girl, you take care of your girl and you help out.... or you're just wrong!


 

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Hi, Bear.

You are a very talented writer.

Sorry you're in pain.

My MIL was from Ronkonkoma. She was COPD, emphysema, congestive heart failure. So your story about your Mom really touched me. I'm so sorry, I hope she's doing ok. I meant to say that when I read the post.

Regards,

Bear said...

Hi Shirley,

Thanx for stopping by, and thanx for the kudos!!

Mom is back in the hospital as of two days ago... it seems to be the way things are now... every time she comes home, she's back in within a few days... We are all hoping that she will get past this and that she will have a number of years ahead of her...

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes....

She's a tough old bird, I think she has quite a bit of fight left in her yet.

Today, Elysia and I will be spackling, sealing, priming, and painting most of the day. Happily, we have a bunch of yummy food left over from our cookout yesterday, so at least lunch will kick ass!!

I'm glad you enjoy my writing... it still comes as a surprise to me that folks do, but I'm nonetheless happy to hear it!!

Take Care,


Bear