Saturday, July 09, 2005

Day 16,790, Mommer, Red Devils, Itchy Cats, and Wooden Men

Today is the sixteen-thousand, seven-hundred and ninetieth day of my life. Elysia's mom is here, we just spent about 45 minutes strolling around the garden with our cups of coffee looking at all of the new life, marvelling at the growth of all the old life, and discussing all of the different things we had done to help it to become as beautiful as it is, and planning and dreaming about the stuff we want to do in the future...

I slipped away and just quietly watched as the two of them talked and laughed and joked as they wandered here and there through the garden. I love them both.

Jack helped out however he could by winding through anybody's legs that seemed to need winding, and by flinging himself down and rolling onto his back in an attempt to get anybody to scratch his tummy. I fell for that one, and spent a good while giving him some TLC and scritcheling all of the parts that seemed to need scritcheling.

Folks will be coming over later today for a birthday get-together, so I'm naturally looking forward to that. We'll be making some shish-kebobs to cook up on the grill, and I am thinking about mixing up some 'Red Devils' so that everybody will have a great excuse to act stupid!


RED DEVIL

1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz peach schnapps
1/2 oz amaretto
1/2 oz Southern Comfort®
1 oz sloe gin
2 oz triple sec
1/2 oz pineapple juice
2 oz orange juice
1 splash grenadine syrup

    Ice up a Collins glass, mix vodka, peach schnapps, amaretto, Southern Comfort, triple sec and sloe gin, add pineapple juice and orange juice, shake, add Seven-Up™, and a splash of grenadine. Garnish with Orange slice and two cherries.



My mom is home from the hospital, and sounds much better. And, on top of everything, I don't have to spend much time standing, which, lately, has become sort of a 'Holy Grail' for me. Plantar Fasciitis sucks the big one. My feet feel as though someone has beaten them with a length of lead pipe until they are purple, and then forced me to walk on broken glass, so standing can be torture. This is part of my work day, however, so there is no escaping it. This weekend, I am off both days, and blessedly, will be able to sit down whenever I feel the need.

Mar sin, táim an-shasta anois! (Therefore, I am very satisfied now! - Gaelic)

Thanks to Mona (I'll be thinking of you when I have my first pretty drink and sending a toast your way!), and Kathy (I'm celebrating! Every single gorgeous moment!!) for the birthday wishes... you guys are great!!

We're about ready to hit the road and go to the grocery store to pick up the stuff that we need for the cookout.

I have high hopes of being able to put my 'Mook Yan Jong' up this weekend. I built this thing years ago, when I lived elsewhere, and when I moved here there simply wasn't anyplace to put it. Since we cleared a crappy corner of the property, and put up a fence section there, I now have the perfect place for it, and I can spend hours happily training my ass off and being happy!


Mook Yan Jong

This isn't My Mook Jong.. this is a Mook Jong. I will post pics of mine once I have it set up. Incidentally, 'Mook Yan Jong' translates as 'Wooden Man Dummy' or 'Wooden Post Dummy' or something like that.


I think it's going to be a great day!

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

was gonna say - thats a wing chun wooden dummy.... til I read the small print

Mona Buonanotte said...

Have Elysia give you a birthday hug for me, m'kay! And your Red Devil sounds delish! I'll have to substitute a plain ol' vodka tonic, though, hope that's okay!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Bear :)
That drink would all but kill me, there is more alcohol than mix, I can't wait to try it ;)
And just wondering, What the heck is the wooden man thing for? It looks like a medieval torture device.

catherine