Sunday, July 10, 2005

I Have a Mook-Jong Once Again!!

I was able to take some time yesterday and get my Mook-Jong installed. Generally speaking, the height of a Mook-Jong is predicated by the height of the practitioner. I made a semi-radical decision to install my Mook-Jong about six or seven inches lower than it should be (according to my body configuration). This forces me to lower my center of balance as I work on the equipment, and helps me to strengthen my legs, and to tweak my body alignment at that lowered height. (Shorter opponents have historically been somewhat problematic for me... Of course I have to be weird.. everybody else has difficulty with taller opponents, because of the reach difference and the loss of power when punching up. Go figure). A second benefit is that if Elysia or my son should ever want to work on the Mook Jong, they will have a piece of equipment that is more suited to their height.

I started by clearing and grading a corner of the yard, and by erecting a fence section. The two four by four posts will serve as anchor posts for the mook jong. My Mook Jong will be a "live" mook jong, meaning that the horizontal stringers will serve to give it a small amount of springy movement (as opposed to a "Dead" Mook Jong, which is a post buried in the ground, and which, consequently, does not move at all). This is where the Mook Jong will go:



It is vitally important that everything not only be strong, but that it be level. The purpose of this equipment is to fine tune one's body alignment and to develop a strong structure and a type of springy, explosive, forward pressure. In order to have this type of springy energy, your entire structure and body alignment has got to be dead on. Here you see me measuring and doing the preliminary work. This was actually a couple of weeks ago.



Once the ground work had been laid, it was a relatively simple matter to mark spots for the lag bolts that hold the brackets, and to screw them in with a ratchet. I built this Mook Jong from scratch. The body is a PVC pipe, the arms were laboriously turned on a lathe and then hand finished, and the leg is steel, welded, and powder coated. I hand whittled the pins that secure the arms, and the pin for the leg is a piece of bronze bar. I peened one end of the bar to keep it from sliding through the receiving hole in the leg, and whipped a leather thong onto it. I used the leather thong to lash the pin so that it won't slide out of the hole (which is horizontal on the leg) while I'm working on the dummy. The stringers are oak 1 x 2 stock, and the brackets were Teco tie-straps that I bent on a vise to fit the posts I mounted the whole thing on. I attached two 2 x 4s to the front of the 4 x 4 posts to give the dummy some space in the back so that I could attach the arms and legs and so that it won't crash into the fence when I am training. All of the lumber is ACQ pressure treated so that it will resist rotting. The striking pads were a birthday gift from Elysia.




It has been a few years since this thing has been up and running, and in the meantime I have had to improvise by training against trees, posts, door frames, or anything that could be used for the purpose. I couldn't resist banging the Mook-Jong around a little bit!!







When I was a soldier, and later a cop, realistic training was vital, as I was often called upon to physically control individuals who did not want to be controlled, and in some instances to fight for my life. This is no longer the case, at least insofar as my profession is concerned. I can (happily) choose to walk away from a conflict now, because I no longer have a duty to act. Of course, If my safety or the safety of my loved ones is concerned, I don't have much choice, but, in reality, I don't get involved in arguments and fights with people. I generally get along with everybody, or, I avoid them.

Although I have no pressing need to train, it's something that I enjoy doing. I simply enjoy the challenge of the training, the feel of my body working, and the pleasant soreness afterwards. I like to push myself, toughen myself, put myself to the test. I don't compete with anyone but me, but, I am my best competitor!

I'm happy with my Mook-Jong, and plan on spending many happy hours slamming that thing around!!

But right now it's time for breakfast out in the garden!

No comments: