Monday, October 09, 2006

What Gives?

Okay... let's say for a minute that You are an employer who has a position to fill, and that I am a job applicant who is eminently qualified for the position. Bear with me, here...

You go through the trouble of writing a job posting and actually posting it somewhere where prospective applicants can find it and, hopefully, respond to it... (this is what you are hoping for, I presume...) (yes?? no?? Yes??)

A job applicant... (Me!) finds the ad, considers it an appropriate position, and wants to be in your employ... said job applicant writes a cover letter, and attaches a 'very well put together, impressive resume' (not my description.. I am quoting a non-biased third-party.. for the sake of fairness).

NOTE: I am referring to job openings where I am **ABSOLUTELY** confident that I can not only do the job, but do the job in an exemplary fashion.. I AM TELLING YOU THAT I AM VERY WELL QUALIFIED FOR THESE POSITIONS! Period!!


Back to our hypothetical ( .. or not so... ) situation: So.. Job applicant now responds to your ad, with a resume that clearly claims that the applicant is very well qualified for the position that you are ostensibly looking to fill!!

You may or may not have a great many responses to the posting.. but, here is a qualified applicant who has taken the time to courteously respond to your advertisement, and who is quite obviously attempting to find gainful employment.

You (Choose the best response):
  1. Promptly respond to applicant, scheduling an interview.
  2. Ignore response completely.
  3. Respond politely, explaining that the position has been filled, but that you will maintain the applicant's file on record.
  4. Send out a quick auto-response indicating that the resume has been received, that it will be reviewed, but that only the most qualified applicants will be contacted.


Why do so many of you choose option #2?? Don't you want to fill the position? IS there a position? Were you raised by wild animals who were completely lacking in the ability to socialize you? Would it kill you to let me know that you received my message/letter and that either you are considering me or have rejected me outright for some reason? Do you have any sympathy/empathy for your fellow human beings? Just wondering...

What the heck is UP with that?? I would really like to know... it is exceedingly frustrating...

Thanx for listening..

Obviously, the job search is going extraordinarily well.. {SNORT!!}

5 comments:

Sarah Moïse Young said...

God, I know. I KNOW! What is WITH these people? And why in the hell do I care so much about them? Why does their disgusting lack of manners matter so damned much? WHY?

NewYorkMoments said...

I feel eminently qualified to respond to this. I'm a corporate recruiter working on a minimum of 20 different jobs at all times. Unfortunately, in spite of the fact that I work for a very, very well known multi-national media corporation, we still have a completely shit applicant tracking system. I have hundreds and hundreds of resumes a week that come in to me through different sources and it's impossible for me to get to review many of them. I do try to get to as many as possible.

I actually appreciate it very much when a qualified candidate calls me to follow up so that I don't miss them. I do realize that many times there is no contact number, however I always leave my e-mail address and phone number on all of my ads.

Nukie said...

Well since you already got your answer, I won't comment.


(That's what I was going to say)

Anne said...

I completely know and am going through the same thing. It's insulting and unprofessional. Even when you follow up to ask if the job is still available, and if it is, to let them know you are still interested. There are so many times I've gotten NO response. Recruiting has been reduced to keyword searches, and applicants are no longer people, but friggin' keywords. Which is why the previous poster gets their desk full of too many NOT screened resumes. I've been very unimpressed with hiring people as of late, and it's getting worse, not better. I've gotten calls for jobs that have nothing to do with my qualifications, but my resume probably hit a few keywords. They didn't even bother to LOOK at it to see that. It's laziness gone amuck, and I bet most resumes received aren't even PRINTED out. Their scanned on a computer, which leaves much to being missed. You're almost at a point where you want to show up and hand it to the person directly.

Anne said...

Oops, I meant to say they're scanned on a computer.