Thursday, October 05, 2006

Status Report

Today I went on a job interview..

The job doesn't pay all that well to start, but there is room for advancement. The company is growing in leaps and bounds, and it seems that this is the reason that they are hiring.

The facility is a wee bit of a crap-hole, but, it isn't completely disgusting. The folks in the office all appear to me moderately normal and are recognizibly human... no horns, wings, or other assorted non-human body parts or obvious mutations.. to some extent, they even seem socially capable... perhaps even polite!

They have a dog there named 'China'. China would hire me starting immediately. China was very happy to see me, and basically just wants everyone to be her friend, the occasional pat or scratch, and perhaps the odd milkbone snack now and again...

The owner is a slim, good-looking, courteous and quiet sort of a guy... very self-possessed, (at least insomuch as I am able to tell by only having met him in the briefest of circumstances, that being the interview...), and he strikes me as being extremely intelligent, and on the ball... which, to be honest, I find refreshing...

The interview seemed to go fairly well.. and I suppose I will simply have to wait and see what comes of it, if anything...

The location is literally four minutes away from my house... and that is counting two red lights!! The amount of money that I would save on gas and maintenance alone almost eats up the pay hit... but not quite. The telling factor would be whether (IF I were to be hired, and IF I were able to quickly get my feet on the ground and running..) I could do a good enough job of it to merit a payraise or promotion, or, perhaps, consideration for a better position within the company... I suppose that would depend upon whether or not it is the sort of organization that takes note of, and recognizes this sort of thing...

At the very worst case scenario... It would be some income until I could manage to come up with a better plan...



I contacted the Nose to let him know that I was going to be using him as a reference, and he assured me that he would give me a good one... I did a fantastic job there, so I don't see any reason why he would be able to do anything else without being a complete liar....

Then, I contacted my old boss from the job previous to the last one, and advised her that I used her as a reference as well (she gave me open permission for time immemorial to do so...), and she told me that she would tell anyone calling for a reference check that I am 'terrific'. (Terrific is good!)

Lastly, I stopped by the place where I tend bar, and spoke with the owner, asking if they could see fit to schedule me for any extra work that comes around... and getting their blessing to work at any other of the competing businesses in the area... (I don't really have to do this... but, out of respect, I think it is the right thing to do... He encouraged me to do whatever is necessary to make things do whatever they have to do... and wished me luck... he said that he would speak to the banquet manager, who does the scheduling, and see if they couldn't throw some extra work my way... no guarantees, mind you... but they will try).



It is a beautiful day... sunny, bright, breezy, and cheerful.. birds are singing, and the cats are dozing.

There aren't any new leads for me to pursue today... nobody is doing much posting of jobs online... so, I think I might take some mental decompression time and do something other than search, search, search for a job... at least for a little while... clear my head, re-motivate... so that when I get back to it I can be sharp, and on the ball!!

I'm happy... I would like to have a job, obviously, but, it takes some time... I can't make it go any faster than I am already doing...

I am going to the local bartending school starting Monday (If I don't have a job...) in order to brush up on stuff that I don't generally do where I now work... hopefully, this will make me a little more marketable in that respect...

Marcheline agreed to help me out to learn the finer points of 'Quickbooks'...

And that pretty much covers all of the loose ends...



I'm beating the bushes, and making things happen... but, to some extent, as in most things, I have to let things unfold in their own way, and in their own time...

In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this marvelous day that I have been given...

It doesn't really take all that much, when you get down to it, to make me happy...

... On that respect, China and I are very much on the same wavelength!


1 comment:

Séamas Poncán said...

1) This was a gift. Your job sucked. Life will be better now.
2) As to what actually happened, I think that the Fly was going to check the price because he knew something you didn't know, and that when you jumped in to help, you short circuited that. What you did was good, and what they did was stupid. But I think that might make it comprehendable.

Beir (!) bua!