Sunday, April 24, 2005

Jungle Warfare


Panama Canal Zone
February: 1984
Annual Jungle Operations Training Center Deployment
1st Battalion (Ranger), 75th Infantry (Airborne)






We had been out in triple-canopy jungle for perhaps two weeks. We were hot, sweaty, wet, filthy, scratched, bitten, stung, tired, and hungry.

Day in and day out we had been alternately moving and hiding in the green gloom that was all the light available in the thick Panamanian jungle. For three days, a troop of howler monkeys had been following us, pelting us with everything that they could get their hands on, and letting what seemed like the entire world know our position with thier lion-like roars. Sometime during the night of the previous day, they had mysteriously grown tired of the sport and vanished without a trace, though not a single one of us was sorry to see them leave.

On this particular day, we had been moving through a particularly hilly section of jungle, and we were getting our asses kicked. Our rucksacks weighed between 80 and 120 lbs, and the heat and humididty had been chipping away at us and sapping our strength since we had put our 'knees to the breeze' and parachuted onto Gatun DZ. The monotony of the day was also taking its toll; up a hill, down a hill, through some water, watch out for the black palm! (a thorn bearing tree that proliferates the area -- I have a piece of black palm lodged in my left wrist to this day!), up a hill, down a hill, through some water, watch out for the black palm! Our equipment alternately chafed bloody holes through our skin, which were quickly set upon by blackflies, which made our lives miserable, or chafed us raw through our wet jungle fatigues, and many of us had festering sores where the leeches had been inadvertently torn from our skin. We were, in a word, 'smoked'.

Being Rangers, we lived up to every word of the 'Ranger Creed', which meant that we kept our complaints to ourselves, shouldered our rucks, and continued to 'drive-on!'.

For those of my readers unfamiliar with the Ranger Creed, it is the oath, the guide, the promise that those of us who wear the black and gold Ranger tab, or who serve in a Ranger Battalion live by. Word for word. It was written by Command Sergeant Major Gentry in 1974, Today it is recited by Rangers during change of command ceremonies, regimental and battalion level physical training, upon graduation from Ranger school, and daily by young Rangers in the regiment. Here it is;


Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession. I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor and high "esprit de corps" of my Ranger Regiment.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air. I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be. One hundred percent and then some

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission, though I be the lone survivor.


The day wore slowly on, and seemed to get hotter, wetter, and stickier as the hours ticked by. I felt as though someone had drenched a washcloth in hot water, covered it in saran wrap, and then wrapped it over my nose and mouth. I was at the very front of our platoon formation, walking "point", my friend Robert had the "slot", and he was right behind me. Up ahead, we could see an area that was glowing brightly with sunshine. Apparently a tree had fallen there recently, and the plantlife hadn't had time to grow over and cover up the hole quite yet. Normally, such an area was to be avoided as a 'danger area'... we treated any such area cautiously; streams, roads, clearings, what-have-you. I gave a 'danger' hand signal, which was quickly passed back through the unit, from soldier to soldier and the platoon stopped, slowly spread into an oblong perimeter, facing outwards, and everybody got down low to the ground, facing outwards. The two of us slowly moved forward to take a look and see if there was anything that should concern us about the clearing. We moved towards it, and then in a series of semi-circular sweeps, we made our way around the clearing, one on each side, creeping towards the light and quietly watching, and then, moving like the hour hand of a clock.. very, very slowly.. we would back away, and make another sweep.... each time getting a slightly different view of the small clearing. We made our separate ways around the open area until we met on the far side. Satisfied that there were no surprises in store for us, we 'dog-legged' away from the clearing, and made our way back to the platoon, where we let the platoon commander know that there was nothing nefarious or suspicious about the clearing... it was just a clearing. He slowly nodded his head, obviously turning something over in his mind, then, apparently coming to a decision, he told the platoon sergeant, "Move the men into the clearing... post a 50% watch, and let the others eat, rest, dry their clothes and socks, and take care of personal hygeine." The platoon sergeant relayed the orders to the squad leaders, and we moved towards the clearing.

As I stepped into the clearing, the ground exploded in front of me!!

I stood there, gaping, my mouth hanging open in wonder as literally thousands upon thousands of butterflies rose into the air around me!!



I had never in all of my life seen such a sight, nor have I ever again since that day... butterflies of every size and description. Green, yellow, black, gray, red, orange, blue... every color in existence. There was a particularly large butterfly, metallic blue, with black borders on its wingtips, which were sometimes 6" from tip to tip!! There were butterflies with clear wings, upon which were markings in bright red!



Everywhere I looked, winged jewels fluttered, and swooped, and whirled through the air. It was absolutely amazing!!



I noticed, after a time, that my cheeks hurt, from smiling!! I looked around me, and saw to my surprise, that all semblance of military order had been temporarily forgotten. Rangers stood around me in a disorderly semi-circle... arms dangling limply at thier sides as they stared up at the spectacle, mouths hanging open, or smiling like cheshire cats!

Time stopped for us that afternoon, as we all simply stood and wondered at the simple beauty of these marvelous little creatures as they serenely winged their little bodies in lazy spirals all around the clearing.

Eventually, the butterflies slowly began to vacate the clearing, leaving a few hardy stragglers behind. Apparently, they didn't enjoy our company anywhere near as much as we enjoyed theirs.

The majority of them flew off to points unknown, but quite a few of them have flown with me, in my heart, ever since that day. In happy moments or sad, I look inside and find solace by watching them as fly and flutter around, glinting and darkling in the dappled sunshine.

Isn't it amazing that they can bestow such a wonderful gift without ever even thinking of asking for anything in return??

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Beautiful story. You really have a way of painting a picture with your words!

I gather these pictures are ones you took while you were there? I didn't realize a soldier could also carry a camera with them. See how little I know about military life?

Bear said...

Hi Kathy,

The answers are actually "No" and "Yes" respectively;

These photos are actually not photos that I took myself on that deployment.

We can carry a camera, providing it is small and remains unseen... but the deployment in panama involves being in
water up to the earlobes quite a bit, and most small pocket cameras cannot be submerged. I later did obtain a small camera with a water tight housing, but the pics of the butterflies were not of the very same butterflies, but they were of the very same species that I observed... I got them all online, including, in this case, the jungle scene with soldiers. I have some Panama photos, however, taken by other soldiers on that deployment... I will be posting at least one, at some time in the future, as it has the subject of a future post in it.

Its a pretty good story, but has a sort of messy ending... but, they can't all be winners, can they??!

The butterflies that I saw looked exactly like the ones in the photos that I posted, to my recollection. Some of them may have even been related!


Bear