Friday, June 02, 2006

Today...

Sound of alarm clock chirping,
Thump of furry feet jumping up to greet me good morning,
Feel of soft sheets around me,
softer skin against mine,
carpet against my feet,
cold bare bathroom floor,
water on my skin,
the sound of a muzzy voice wishing me a good day,
misty, grey morning,
warm, fresh air, all the possibilities of a brand new day..
the deep red of brand new roses,
dew on spider webs; like a necklace of diamonds..
morning greetings from the bagel shop folks,
the smell of fresh coffee,
a wave from the Aikido folks, at their morning workout..
morning traffic, everybody hurrying to work,
but not those in the graveyard, empty, silent, except for a few rabbits. They aren't worried about anything!
Click of my turn signal,
The sound of tractor trailers,
fork lifts unloading material,
shouts of the guys in the yard already hard at work.
Phones ringing, morning talk, complaints, jokes, wonderings.
Tires singing on hard bare road,
the song of birds.
Hammering in the distance,
the smell of summer days, what is that smell?
Shuffling papers, cash register bell, tapping keyboards.
Endless activity around me, but inside?
Silence.. stillness.. tranquility.. and peace.
Sting of sunburn,
cool breeze on my skin,
car horns,
Joggers pass by,
somebody walking a dog,
bicycles.
blaring stereo in someone's vehicle.
The usual customers;
Hey Bear? How's it going?
All is well, how 'bout you?
Conversations around me,
"Howz it been, you busy? Ain't makin' no money!"
"Have ya seen the new Mustang?",
"Can't stand my wife, wish I had a girlfriend",
"Have you seen so and so?",
"I can't believe flounder season is over!",
"I had ta sell my boat!",
"Can I use your bathroom?".
Door opens and closes, people come and go.
"Why are you so calm all the time?"
"Nothing to worry about, I guess.."
"Nah! You're extra calm.. whatta you know the rest of us don't know?"
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and enjoy the little moments that you get..
that's all!"
"Hey! Smart guy! One'a dem philanderers!"
[Philosophers?! I smile inside!]
Everybody is agitated, they don't have what they need..
if only they could have the one with the new thing,
the bigger other thing,
or the one that's better, faster, newer!
I think about the Mustang that they lust after...
Think about cars I have seen,
rusting away in overgrown fields...
I wonder if they were somebody's dream once; "If I could only get that car, all my prayers would be answered!"
Now? Where is the dream?
None of it lasts, I guess... just the sky, and the sun, and the changing, whirling, dancing vibrance of it all..
I don't own things.. don't really want things... Or do I?
Different things, I guess... for each of us..
I decide that I would like monks bowls of gingko wood, and maybe a bell with a pretty sound! On second thought, maybe not... I don't need anything...
Afternoon quiet,
In comes the late day crowd,
dice roll,
shouts, complaints, cheers,
"I'll get lucky this time!"
I sit apart,
in the background,
somebody has to answer the phones!
tidy up, gather my stuff...
Satisfaction of a job well done, time to go!
End of day well wishes, "Have a nice weekend!"
Afternoon sun on my face, birds fly against the sun,
Familiar faces at the library,
kids shouting in the parking lot,
Family strolling together, "don't run!"
In the library, smell of books, hushed whispers,
phone buzzes, text from my girl; "Where are ya?", sent back a pic, "I'm here!"
Driving home,
breeze through the window,
smell of freshly cut grass,
a sprinkler spins out whirls of flying water,
cat hurries off on urgent kitty business,
car doors slam,
sound of somebody laughing in the distance.
Kids are talking and playing; knots of them, sharing secrets that only they know..
I think of the past, school, old friends, my dog, family long gone, trips to the beach, ice cream trucks, and fireflies.
Home. Squeak of mailbox door, click of the gate latch, more new roses!
The soft whisper of a hello kiss,
velvet couch,
Cat greetings.. "Hi Dad! I was good today!"
the welcome smell of summer evenings...
reminds me of every summer vacation I have ever been on.
Somebody barbequing.
Squirrel rooting around in the yard,
birds call,
old movie on TV.
Luscious feel of bare feet, grateful to be released from their shoe prisons!
Catching up with one another, "how was your day?", "What'd you do?", "Look what I got today!", "We're having salmon for dinner".
Pleasant feel of end of day tiredness, looking forward to relaxing evening.
Soft round kittys curled up in the window.
Summer rain gently patters on leaves.
This is a day in my life...
Day number seventeen-thousand, one hundred and eighteen...
I wonder how many more there will be?

4 comments:

Marcheline said...

This is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.

- M

scribe said...

I concur with your lovely wife. This is a really cool post. Thanks for sharing a day in the life of Bear.

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

My seven year old grandson crushed a frond of newly grown arborvita between his fingers and sniffed them, and held them out to me. He said, "It smells like LIFE."

Life is so full of abundance these days. Thanks for reminding us!

Sally

Bear said...

Thanx guys...

Sally.. why not get a small planter let your grandson plant some mint, sage, lemon verbena, oregano, and other pungent herbs so that he can pinch them and smell them and watch them grow?

... just a thought....