Wednesday, October 05, 2005

White Llamas and Dwarf Albino Deer

One night, I received a radio call from the dispatcher to respond to an address and see the complainant who resided there in reference to a white llama that was in the man's yard.

After acknowleging the call, and heading in that direction, the dispatcher's words ran through my mind for a few seconds. White Llama? Oh, please!

Now, there is a quirk to my personality that has gotten me into trouble many times, and will probably get me into trouble again, because I don't ever learn; I have a bizarre sense of humor, I am an incurable smart-ass, and I am willing to go to almost any length for a laugh... especially a good one!

Bear: "610 to Headquarters..."

Dispatcher: "Go ahead, 610"

Bear: "Can you re-contact the complainant and determine whether the Llama on the complainant's lawn is a common Andean Llama, or a Peruvian Spitting Llama??"

Dispatcher: "610... stand by...."

A few seconds ticked by.... the entire precinct was holding it's collective breath, knowing that I was up to some shit, and wondering where this was going...

Dispatcher: "610.. what is it that you are trying to establish, please??"

Bear: "610 to headquarters.. If the animal in question happens to be a Peruvian Spitting Llama, I will have to take universal precautions to prevent contracting a communicable disease... Is the complainant able to identify what type of Llama this is... or is it simply a common Alpaca?"

A few more seconds of radio silence ensued... then,

Dispatcher: "610. Six-One-Zero."

Bear: "610."

Dispatcher: "I have the complainant on land-line. He states that he doesn't know the difference between Anrea... Ander...Ahh.. Um... THE FIRST TYPE... and the Other One from Peruvia..."

Bear: (Ever helpful...as always!) "610 to headquarters. The native habitat of the Pervian Spitting Llama is Peru. 10-4?"

Dispatcher: "[Annoyed Radio Carrier as the dispatcher clicked the mike without answering... A crack in the shell! I was getting somewhere at last!!]"

Dispatcher: "610?"

Bear: "Six-Ten"

Dispatcher: "The complainant now states that he no longer believes that the animal is a Llama of any type."

Bear: ( ?? ) "Six-Ten to Headquarters... Does the complainant have any idea what type of animal is on his property??" (Very large dog, perhaps??)

Dispatcher: "610, the complainant states that the animal is...... ..... a dwarf albino deer...."

Bear: (You have got to be fucking kidding me!!) "610 to headquarters. Can you ask the complainant whether this is a 'North American Two-Tined Dwarf Albino Deer', or whether it is a 'Dwarfed Eastern Fallowhide Pronghorn Mule Deer' in winter coat, perhaps?"

Dispatcher: "610, is there some significance to this question?"

Bear: "The Fallowhide deer is on the endangered species list, headquarters... its the only venomous mammal in North America..."

Dispatcher: ".... venomous?"

Bear: "10-4.."

Dispatcher: "Stand by 610..."

Bear: "610 to headquarters. Disregard, I'm almost '36 (* 10-36 means 'arrived at location'), I'll advise..."

Dispatcher: "Ten four six-ten. Advise."

As I pulled onto the gravel parking area in front of the address... my headlights fell upon a concrete deer, perhaps two and a half to three feet in height. It may have once been painted, but it had turned white with age. The concrete had broken off of the lower portion of one of the forelegs, leaving the metal armature showing, and algae had taken root here and there, leaving green splotches on the otherwise white colored concrete. I had found my dwarf albino deer...

Another vehicle pulled in next the my vehicle. As I exited the police vehicle, a woman got out of the driver's seat and walked around the front of her vehicle towards me...

Woman: "Officer! Did my father call about that damned deer again??"

Bear: "'Fraid so, man... and you are...?"

Woman: "I'm his daughter... he has a very serious drinking problem, officer... I'm very sorry. Please don't arrest him, my mother is ill, and my..."

Bear: "Ma'am... I'm not going to be arresting anyone.. is your father going to be alright??"

Woman: "Yes, officer... I'm taking him home to my house for the next few days. My mother has been in the hospital. He doesn't deal with stress very well... and he's been, ...well... he has basically been tying one on for the past few days... I'm really very sorry about all this."

Bear: "Don't worry about it. Goodnight."

Woman: "Thank you, officer. Goodnight!"

I pulled out into the street and decided that it was time for a nice cup of coffee... I headed towards a local Seven-11. I picked up the microphone to advise headquarters that I was back in service.

Bear: "Six-Ten, 27." (10-27 means 'in service' - in practice, we often cut parts of these codes for some reason)

Dispatcher: "10-04, Six-Ten. 10-27, returning to sector."

I drove for maybe ten seconds before the radio squawked to life...

Unidentified Authoritative Voice: "SIX TEN. SIX-ONE-ZERO."

(Who the fuck is that?!)

Bear: "610."

Voice: "This is the Deputy Chief of Patrol to Unit Six-Ten. You are hereby ordered to make a 10-12 (report to..) to Headquarters. Forthwith."

(Oh....... shit....)

Bear: "10-4. Responding...."



Oh, man....


Some people have no sense of humor about things.....





Epilogue: As it turns out, I got a good dressing down. (I was flamed hairless and had my asshole torn so wide open that you could kick an extra large beachball through it. But, I was a sort of folk-hero with the other street cops, which kind of made up for the ass-chewing.) I had to work some shitty details for a few weeks until some other stupid fuck-knuckle drew attention to himself and (thankfully) got it off of me. Sometimes you just have to go where the shits and grins are. You only live once!

10 comments:

Wraiths said...

From good samaratin to smart ass , I love your stories. If I had done a ride-along with you instead of the power mad feak I got stuck with, I probably would have joined the police. Then again, I live in LA... maybe not.

Anonymous said...

Nice, comedic followup to the sad post previous!

I am sitting here in my cube at work trying not to audibly snort. ;-)

Beverly

Bear said...

Wraiths,

It takes all kinds.. different folks enter law enforcement careers for widely different reasons, still others are changed by 'the job'. Honestly, I can say that everyone is changed in some way by the job, and not usually for the better. It has a way of ferreting out the worst character traits that one possesses, and magnifying them. I'm not sure why. I include myself in this, though I don't much like it. I suppose it depends on what day, or what frame of mind you happen to catch somebody in as how they come across. The same cop that one person views as an angel or savior may very well be viewed as a power-hungry zealout or a scumbag by someone else. Its the nature of that job, I think.

More likely, if it was in your blood to join the police department, then you would have, regardless of who or what you saw, because you wouldn't have been able to imagine doing anything else and being happy doing it. It isn't like selling shoes. You aren't allowed to have days where you are 'slightly off' or 'not quite up to par'... because you or someone else might not make it home that day.

It definitely isn't a job for everybody, and for many, many different reasons.

I'm glad you like the stories that I write! Thank you for dropping me a line, I appreciate it!

Take Care,

Bear

==================================

Beverly,

Go ahead and snort!! (It's your cube!

:-)

Take Care,

Bear

Anonymous said...

Bear

Another good story..You have a way with words......except (always is, isnt there)

Can you please get rid of that insane pop-up that wants to install crappy spyware on our computers...PLEASE!

Bear said...

Hey Dan,

Thanx for stopping by!

I wasn't aware that there was a pop-up... can you clue me in as to what it is trying to sell or what it is trying to do??

I use Firefox with an extension called 'No Script' which allows me to create permissions before any java script can be run on my computer. I also have a firewall and anti-virus software... I have never seen any indication of this...

If someone can advise me what the pop-up is trying to sell, or deduce what it's purpose may be, if it is something derived from an add-on, I can simply remove it... my apologies... I didn't know it was there.

Bear

Wraiths said...

This is the pop-up site that comes up when I visit however, it doesn't actually load a page for me.

http://www9.paypopup.com/pacimedia/pacimedia.htm

However, within the page itself, it's trying to load the following link i a frame:
src="http://www.pacimedia.com/ax/ax.php?did=2" height="1"
width="1" frameborder="0"

Then again, I'm using "dropmyrights" so it couldn't load much anyway. So there you go, too much info. I also don't see what's popping it up, but have you loaded a new banner or link on the right?

Anonymous said...

my jaw hurts from laughing so hard!

no pop-up on mac running safari for whatever that's worth.

Bear said...

Leslie,

Hello! Welcome! What you need is an ice-cream sundae to take care of that sore jaw.. (It won't help it to hurt any less.. but you won't care!!)

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it! Pretty cool!! You are all the way over there... where folks who have Mac Safari are... and I'm all the way over here... with the Firefox folks... and I was able to make you laugh!! I like that!!

Thanx for stoppin' by Leslie.. I hope you will continue to read, and drop a line now and again!!

Take Care,

Bear

Lish said...

hardly seems fair after you saved the poor fellow from the concrete statue.

Bear said...

Hey Lish,

Welcome to my blog! Thanx for taking the time to leave me your thoughts and comments!!

I basically got jammed up for fuc*ing around on the radio.. they (they being the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful *they* -- otherwise known as the clowns in the upper echelons of any beauracracy.. in this case the police beauracracy..) don't look fondly on us peons dicking around when we are supposed to be serious and professional and all that good stuff...

No big deal. It wasn't the first time or the last time that I got slapped around.

That's what you get for not knuckling under.. slapped around. (You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy, so you can't be worried about getting jammed up now and again.. you also can't be stupid about it..)

Take Care,

SeeYaBye!

Bear