Saturday, October 29, 2005

Where is My Muse?

I am a piper. I am also an artist, and a craftsman.

Or... more accurately, I was a piper and an artist and craftsman.

It has been a great while since I have picked up the pipes, or for that matter, the chanter... it has been a great while also since I have picked up a pencil and put it to paper with the express intent of creating something artful. It has been even longer since I have made anything.. be that leatherwork, woodcarving, beadwork, embroidery, metalwork, or anything.

I haven't baked any bread or brewed any mead... I haven't planted anything.

I don't know why.

In this house, we are usually in the middle of a number of projects.. projects that express our spirits, our love for beauty, our talents and abilities....

Elysia has been hitting the keyboard lately... so there has been some rather wonderful music in the household... but I haven't played a note.

Elysia completed some mosaic projects and is currently working on some crochet. But, I just can't seem to focus on anything lately....

I suppose when it is right for me to jump back in, I will... but I am starting to wonder why this part of my life is missing, or, more importantly... why I have allowed that part of my life to go missing...

Elysia told me that she may have a piping job for me in December some time... somebody wants a piper to play at their ordination ceremony.

I guess I had better start practicing, ay??

Music, Language, Art, Craft, Cooking, and Beauty... these are the things that make life wonderful.... it seems strange to me that I would let myself drift away from it.

I guess I'll have to see what happens.... the fact that I am posting about this is probably a good sign....

Come to think of it... I miss the skirl of the pipes...

2 comments:

Globegirl said...

someone was playing pipes in downtown portland (where i live) last week and i almost cried wishing myself back to edinburgh.

life without creativity isn't worth living. if nothing else, at least you're writing.

Bear said...

Sheena,

Hello! Thank you for popping in for a wee bit!

At least I am writing... in a little while, I'll be carving a pumpkin.. that's something at least!

We went out today, picked pumpins and bought a freshly baked pie, so it'll be pumpkin carving, scary movies on the tube, fresh wildberry pie, freshly roasted and ground coffee (we roast and grind the beans ourselves..), and then Elysia will be drying out the pumpkin seeds in the oven..

You are spot on about creativity... its a must. At least for me...

I've been a tad stifled lately, with work and all...

Take care,

Bear