Friday, November 10, 2006

Hello!? McFly?! Are You in There?!

I stopped at Seven-Eleven this morning on my way to work in order to pick up a cup of coffee... I needed it..

I ran into a customer from my last job, (for simplicity, I'll call it NSBS ((Non-Specified Building Supplies, Inc.))((I will call my Current Job 'CJ, Inc.' - Yup! you got it,... C-urrent J-ob. .. I know... I can't help it, It's a birth defect))

So... I run into this guy with his crew as we are walking towards the Seven-Eleven;

John M: "Hey! Haven't seen you over there in a while! Where ya been?"

Me: "Well.. I found a new job. I don't work for NSBS anymore..."

John M: "You don't!? Where ya workin' now?"

Me: "I work for 'CJ' as an Admin Assistant, now.."

John M: "They let you wear that at NSBS these days?" (indicating my suit and tie...)

Me: (??) "Huh? Oh! The suit?! Well, um.... No.. I mean, I don't work there anymore... this is business attire at my new job."

John M: "Oooooh..... So, what'ya, change out of it when you get to NSBS?"

Me: (DO you hear the words what's comin' outta my mouf??!!) I sorta don't actually go to NSBS... because..... I don't actually work there anymore. I left... I got a new job... ... "

John M: "Gee! That's great!! So, I guess we'll see you over there a little later on then, okay?!"

Me: (??? !) ".. ? ... where?'

John M: "NSBS!"

Me: (sigh) "I don't think so..."

John M: "No? Why, you off today for Veteran's day or somethin'? I thought Veteran's Day wasn't till tommorrow..?"

Me: "No... I'm working.... at my new job.."

John M: "So, I guess you'll get tommorrow off then, if you're lucky, huh?!"

Me: "Probably... since I don't have to work on Saturdays anymore AT MY NEW JOB... So, I suppose it's looking pretty good!"

John M: "So listen, can you price out a job for me sometime before lunch? I have to do a proposal for a customer this afternoon on a roof job... I'll call you later with the numbers...."

Me: "Um..you see.. I. Don't. Work. There. Anymore. John."

John M: "What? You're not gonna be there? Why don't I give you the numbers now, and you can price it out when you get back, then?? I have everything in the truck..."

Me: (I can't solve this...) "Listen, why don't you just call the numbers in to NSBS, this way they won't get lost. When you go in there later on, it will probably be done... okay?"

John M: "Hey! Great! Thanks, Bear! I guess I'll see you over there in a little while then.... boy, you're gonna be hot working in that suit, huh?!"

Me: "You know.. you're probably right... when I get home, I'm going to change out of it into something cooler..."

John M: "Good Idea! See ya over there!"

Me: "See ya... take care,... nice seeing you, John.."




Why do I have this persistent feeling that I might not be getting through?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bear,
Been "lurking" for a year or so and love your "insights".
I'm curious about your status as a "monk". No disrespect meant. I am one of those "reformed Catholics" who firmly believes in the "thinking mind", versus the "docile follower" version of the same.
I'm second generation Irish Catholic that has a sense of there being more than the "Catachism" as a way of life.
I admire your progress and wonder if it should be a road I investigate.
-30-

Bear said...

Hello Mr. Guinness. Welcome to my blog, and thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts and comments.

What are you curious about, specifically? I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have, though, for the purposes of this blog, I make it a point to leave out any specific information regarding my religious preference/denomination. I do not proselytize, and I want to avoid getting into any sort of exchange with any readers where either of us feel as though we must 'defend' our beliefs. I do my utmost to keep it light and simple... so, if you have any questions, please understand that my answers will be formulated with the above in mind.

As to any vocation that you may have, most orders will allow you to 'test drive' them... meaning that you may attend a retreat or some other type of monastery stay in order to find out if you do in fact have a vocation, and if you are a proper 'fit' for the order, and they for you.

There are many fine monastic orders in the Catholic church, and most can be found online. It may be a good idea to do a little ground work before contacting a specific order so that you can perhaps learn about their specific rule, what is expected of a postulant/novice/monk, etc., etc.

It is not my place (nor is it within my ability) to make a determination as to whether your vocation is a true vocation. This is generally done by superiors of your chosen order.

Once again, if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

In Peace and Brotherhood,

Bear