Monday, November 28, 2005

Just to be Clear on Something...

On three separate occasions today, persons of 'authority' made comments to me regarding my interpersonal relationships with customers... in each case, I was advised, to one degree or another to adjust my relative level of friendliness and care with regard to the amount of money the individual in question spent, or was likely to spend over the course of the foreseeable future.

In other words, I heard things such as; "You don't have to take so much time going out of your way to be helpful to him. His business is tanking. He won't be spending any money here for a while."

???

Or; (In response to me commenting ((I take notice that this comment was most likely inappropriate, but the customer was gone, and I was talking to a coworker, and was overheard)) that a particular customer who had just left was an insufferable arrogant asshole at times, and that he seemed to have been taking extra pains to test my patience during this particular visit.

I was told, "He drops $120 grand a month.. his used toilet paper is worth more than your entire life... you'll lick his ass if he tells you to."

Okay... first off. No, I most certainly will not lick his or anyone's ass. Ever. Either literally, or figuratively.

Second. The day I treat any person in a particular way based upon the value of their current, past, or projected material wealth will never come in my lifetime.

Lastly. I am revolted, disappointed, appalled, and insulted that anybody anywhere and for any reason at all puts so much emphasis on things, be they money, cars, houses, or any other objects. I think its obscene and disgusting and I feel nasty and dirty for even taking part in it. Even in the remotely peripheral fashion that I do.

I take people as they come, and treat them with respect until they force me to do otherwise by their actions. I don't care what they own.

The nose, upon entering the metal shop where pizza had been delivered for our lunch today, saw me just about to take a slice of pizza for my lunch and said, "Get the fuck up there!" (meaning the counter).

I said, "Excuse me?"

He responded, "I said 'get the fuck up there!'"

I thought about this for a second, then said, "Are you talking to me???!"

He said, "Yes! Get the fuck up there!"

I replied, "Are you out of your fucking mind?? You don't talk to me like that! Who the hell do you think you are?? YOU get the fuck up there!! I'M getting my lunch! Once I've gotten a slice of pizza and poured myself a drink, I'll go up front. You better watch how the fuck you talk to me.. I'm not your slave, and I'm not your child. Understood?"

He said, "Please, will you go up front?", at which point I had finished getting my lunch, and I headed up to the counter.

It was my time to get my lunch, and somebody was covering the counter. There was no reason whatsoever for him to talk to me in this fashion. Well... no reason on the surface. There has been some kind of a power-issue that I've detected from my dealings with him. It is specifically directed at me, though I have seen it manifest itself towards others as well. Its extremely tiresome.

What bothers me about this, is that I know he judges me based entirely on what I own, or what he perceives me to own. My character, intellect, work ethic, honesty, integrity, courage, or kindness aren't even considered. His sole judgement of me is based upon what I possess. As it turns out, my main focus in my life tends not to be material wealth, money, or possessions. I count my wealth in other ways. This means that he will never perceive me as anything but a sub-human who is not deserving of even the slightest bit of common courtesy or compassion.

That sucks.

Whichever way it goes, I refuse to rework my life-view to please him or anyone else. I suppose this is one of life's tests that I have to submit myself to in order to learn whatever it is that this particular difficulty has to teach me.

It seems that life lessons are never all that much fun.

Oh well. Every day he wakes up and he is him. He barely loves his wife, doesn't much like himself, and puts on a mask to face the world.

I wake up every day next to my wife, who loves me, and who I adore. I am content with who I am, and confident in my abilities, and I wear my own face, everwhere, and every day, regardless of who happens to approve or disapprove of it.

I may not have much... but I have more than I ever could have dreamed of.








Goodbye, Mr. Miyagi. You will be missed.

3 comments:

Wraiths said...

here is an article for him

http://biz.yahoo.com/special/badboss05_article2.html

Blandwagon said...

I say you sic the squirrel onto him.

Marcheline said...

YEAH! Let's give the squirrel HIS address.... heh!

- M