Sunday, March 05, 2006

Of Breakfasts and Afternoon Walks...

We woke up this morning and had our coffee while dicking around on the computers... Rather than type a post, which is what I generally do on a Sunday morning while enjoying my coffee and listening to 'Sunday Baroque' on National Public Radio, I fiddled around with my blog template and made some changes; sort of a symbolic spring cleaning, I suppose. Nothing huge, just some small cosmetic changes, and a tweak here and there. So, if the blog looks a little different, that's the deal.

We headed downstairs to rustle up some food, and decided against anything breakfasty.. instead, I made a ceasar salad, and Elysia made up a bowl of chick peas with garlic and olive oil which we ate in pita bread halves, along with the salad. We watched 'Tattoo Stories' on FuseTV and basically hung out after eating... she working on a crochet project (for me!), and I on an embroidery project (coincidentally, also for me! I'm a lucky guy in the handicraft department, lately, it would seem!)

My back was killing me when I woke up (every time I tend bar, I wake up the next day with my back shrieking and totally freaking out... I think it may be the constant twisting at the waist... I'm not quite sure what the deal is with that...)

Today was a gorgeous sunny day, with a huge sky, and relatively warm temperatures, so we decided to go for a walk. We walked down towards the water;
The sea was wet as wet could be,
The sands were dry as dry.
You could not see a cloud, because
No cloud was in the sky:
No birds were flying overhead--
There were no birds to fly.

On the way, I found a tennis ball, and as luck would have it, it wasn't all sodden and wet and nasty, so I popped it into my pocket. When the weather warms up, I can spend wonderful afternoons making a complete ass out of myself attempting to bat it around down at the tennis courts along with my gorgeous wife! (In the meantime, Jinx can have fun with it, pawing at it and then chasing after it!)

One of the houses that we pass on the way down to the water had always had a garden that we admired. It was recently sold, and now the new owners have made their mark. Both Elysia and I are horrified! What used to be a gorgeous, wonderful, magical garden is now a showcase for the largest collection of hideous plastic lawn ornaments ever assembled. I can't understand why anyone would ever think that this is in any way attractive!! They must have noticed the beauty of the garden when they first looked at the house, intending to buy it... and I can only imagine that this would have been a major selling point... I simply can't understand why they would take something that was so wonderful to start with, and completely fuck it up! There is no accounting for taste, I suppose...

We walked on, and strolled across one of the many softball fields down there.. behind two of them is a pond, so we walked over to that, and watched the geese and ducks for awhile, until they decided that our company was less than desirable, and flew off in a huff! We continued on then, chatting all the while, to the sea wall. We walked along the sea wall, and finally sat down on one of the two park benches that were recently placed there as part of the memorial for two residents of the village who were killed during the 9/11 attacks. We discussed mankind's seeming need for permanence, in the erection of these monuments.. in stone and metal, that create a false sense of permanence, at least to my mind. Since we are inseparable from the world around us, it seems to me that we are a part of all of this, of everything, and, therefore, are permanent in any case, without the monuments and all of the other stuff. It isn't that I have anything against monuments - I don't. I just wonder if they are as necessary as we seem to think that they are. I guess they chiefly serve as a marker to remind us of people and of events past that we might not otherwise remember. All in all, thouh, the erecting of stone monuments and all of the other things that we do as humans in order to prolong our presence here, artificially (as it must be) simply strike me as being redundant in some way. At any rate, we sat and talked for perhaps 45 minutes to an hour, she and I, about all sorts of things;

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."


After a time, we decided to head on back to the cottage, so we walked through the quiet village streets, mentally redecorating and relandscaping the houses and properties of our neighbors.

The birds all seemed to be unnaturally quiet today, as though they were all waiting for something to happen. Birds always seem to know about stuff like that...

We decided to plant a Forsythia or a Rhododendron for the Spring Equinox; a fitting way to observe the day. I think I lean towards the Forsythia. I like to let them go nuts... they look like a party!

Today was a quiet, reflective day for me. I needed the time to relax and to recharge my mental batteries. Tommorrow starts another week. I'm already looking forward to next Sunday.

Tonight, I think we will most likely cook ourselves a nice dinner, then sit together, enjoy one another's company, and work on our respective projects. A nice quiet nice at home. It's perfect!

I am tossing around some more ideas for future podcasts. I promise I'll make future podcasts much shorter. The size of the file of the first one pretty much excluded anyone who doesn't have a broadband connection. (I do not, and many things are simply passed over because I can't (or won't) devote the time to such a long download.

If I can figure out a way to do it, I would like to interview some of my fellow bloggers and post the interviews as podcasts. I could either send an email with the questions, have the interviewee answer the questions and send the answers to me as sound files - mp3 or whathave you... or perhaps do it over the telephone, if I can figure out how to record the conversation, though I would imagine that some folks might not be totally comfortable with that.

If anybody has any ideas on how to go about solving any of the tech issues associated with this, please let me know.

As far as the interviews are concerned, they would be along the same lines as the interview questions that I asked during the Marcheline interview.. though some of the questions would be tailored towards the specific interviewee's blog.

It occurs to me that these interviews don't have to be audio interviews, I could just as easily do them via email, and just post them as regular written posts here, though I would guess that many readers/listeners would like to hear the voices behind the words of thier favorite bloggers.

If anyone would like to consent to an interview in either media, let me know, please. My email address is on this page, in the sidebar. If you can't find it, though, or if you are lazy, or unable to move your eyeballs, or what have you... here it is: Bear_Tracks_2_Nowhere@Hotmail.Com If anybody has any interest in this, please drop me a comment or an email and let me know... conversely, if you think that this idea completely sucks and that it would tank, let me know that, too!

It's about time to start the dinner, so, I'm off like a dirty girl's undies!

SeeYaBye!

No comments: