Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Fartsack Parachute


When I was about 9 years old, I found a discarded cloth mattress cover on an old mattress that had been tossed out with the garbage, along with a large plastic bag that, I assume, the new mattress for whoever had discarded the old one had come packaged in.

I struggled and pulled and finally got the mattress cover off of the old mattress, then, triumphantly carrying my find, went in search of some other items... I had a plan, you see...

I scavenged a bale of old clothesline, and a few other scrap items, and fashioned what I believed to be a fairly functional parachute out of the fartsack, with the plastic bag nested inside of it, held to the cloth with a few judiciously placed stitches that I sewed in with quilting thread. I cut a hole in the apex, just as I had learned from books that I had recently read on the subject, fashioned some suspension lines and risers, and even a rudimentary harness, and, feeling satisfied with my creation, anxiously went in search of a venue in which to test it out!

I decided that the fire escape of the apartment building that I lived in would be just the test platform that I required for the experiment.

I took the elevator to the top floor of the apartment building, which happened to be the sixth floor, and snuck out onto the roof of the building (Where, I might add, I was unmistakably prohibited to be, for any reason at all.. the interests of modern experimental science not withstanding!). Looking down the six stories to the ground over the edge of the parapet, I quickly assessed that six floors might just be a little high for a first run, so I began to quietly and sneakily descend the fire escape, all the while judging my relative distance to the ground.

When I arrived at the fourth floor fire escape, I felt that this height would be just about high enough to give my 'parachute' time to open, while not necessarily killing me if it should fail, even though the landing surface below was a less than optimal asphalt parking area.

I strapped on my newly created contraption, and climbed up onto the rail of the fire escape, balancing precariously there like a cat, and just happened to catch a glimpse of the horrifed occupant of the apartment of whose fire escape I had just hurled myself off of as I jumped up and out, in an attempt to put some distance between me and the rather unforgiving metal surfaces of the fire escape, on my leap to fame and stardom. I could already imagine, quite vividly, how impressed everyone was going to be with my ingenuity and workmanship!

Much to my satisfaction, the fartsack parachute opened perfectly with a very satisfying 'pop'! Much to my dismay and horror, however, was the distinctive ripping sound that immediately followed the pop.... (oh..... shit!)

A huge tear had ripped my parachute open so that it was nothing more than a sort of cloth streamer trailing behind me as I fell, resembling nothing so much as a Kamikaze comet on a collision course with the parking lot far below!

I plummeted the four stories to the ground in somewhat less than a second, slamming into the ground at what felt like about 120 miles an hour. I had an indistinct plan to roll upon impact, much as I had been learning in my judo classes. What actually happened, instead, was that my legs, unable to hold my weight at such a velocity, collapsed underneath me, and I gave myself a rather substantial 'root in the stones' with the heel of one or both of my feet as my body slammed down onto them! I then flopped to one side or the other, removing much of the skin on my body on that side in the process, and giving my head a good thunk on the asphalt for good measure.

This all happened almost instantaneously, and I laid there, curled into a fetal position, attempting to breathe, and being somewhat startled at the intensity of the pain that was washing through my tortured body at the time.

To add to my relative discomfort, the fartsack was fluttering in the breeze, in what I considered to be a distinctly obnoxious, vindictive, and mocking fashion.

After what seemed like about an hour, a number of tenants rushed up to ask me whether I was killed as a result of my fall, and to helpfully make suggestions as to my future behaviour, my relative level of intellect and psychological stability, and my suitability as a member of society specifically, and as a member of the human race at large. While I was certainly grateful for their input, I nevertheless decided that a graceful exit was called for after a few seconds of this (well... maybe not that graceful... but an exit nonetheless...)

I limped off, oozing blood picking asphalt sprinkles out of the worst road-rashy bits, my body aching and stinging in places where I never even knew I had places, and found someplace that only a kid would know about and did the best I could to tend to my wounds.. both the physical injuries, and those to my pride.

When I finally went home later on that day, I was somewhat caught off-guard by my mothers seemingly psychic knowledge of my activities earlier in the day. Surprisingly, she raised many of the same issues as the other tenents in the building concerning my intelligence, judgement, and level of sanity, which, naturally, I found to be somewhat noteworthy and surprising! This was all very interesting to me, until the beatings commenced...

As I lay in my bed, the innocent victim of parental brutality and societal misunderstanding, I resolved to find myself a stronger fartsack the next time I attempted to leap from a tall building!!...

5 comments:

Marcheline said...

This post would have been only half as funny without the repeated use of the word "fartsack".

HA!

- M

scribe said...

Man that's harsh! Yikes. Did you ever get medical attention? Do you have scars?

On the other hand, it explains a lot about you: the old phrase "Dropped on his head as a child" comes to mind. Just teasing (sorry, you know I can't resist the opportunity to be a wiseass).

Mona Buonanotte said...

Your mom's nice. If my son did that, I'd STILL be beating him 40-some odd years later! You're a lucky guy, Bear!

Anonymous said...

You sound like you were a clever kid. Dumb, but clever nonetheless. Yes, fartsack was a funny word! Your poor mother.

Sally

Bear said...

Marcheline: Fartsack! Fartsack! Fartsack!

Scribe: Nope! No medical attention, other than picking out the sticky-out bits and some fairly stinging washing later on, which completely sucked, if I recall accurately...

Mona: My mom was brutal, actually... and she knocked the holy living shit out of me. I actually got hurt more from that than from the fall. I kept her in shape, though, by coming up with new and exciting reasons to beat me to a pulp. I was cool that way.

Sally: I was always trying to learn things, and to apply what I learned to various situations. I eventually *did* construct a fairly operable parachute, but I learned to find inanimate test objects and try out my prototypes with them first. I usually still got whalloped, but I didn't care. My mom should have seen me in my "Tarzan" phase where I taught myself to swing from branches and leap from one tree to another... at fatal heights. In my book, danger+unpredicatability=fun! The hang-glider that I constructed was exponentially cooler than the fartsack parachute. The yard behind that same apartment building was on a slope that dropped about three stories in about 100 to 150 yards. Great for sleigh riding, and great for Hang-gliding experiments. Until you discover that sharply pulling the control bar towards you slams you bodily into the ground at great speed. I think I spent the better part of a day laying there trying to figure out who I was. That was the end of my attempts to fly.... until I joined the military and started strapping *real* parachutes on!! Then I could jump out of a rattling piece of crap aircraft into pitch black night skies with 300 pounds of equipment on and try to land on what, from the air, looked like a postage stamp sized drop zone, with high tension wires on one side, a highway on the other, a river on the third, and all sorts of obstacles to try to avoid *in* the dropzone itself!! (For those of you 1st Bat Rangers out there.. you will remember Galahad, Taylor Creek, and some of the other fun drops zones!). I did however, turn my interests towards other experiments that resulted in similar parental violence... I wonder if Sir Isaac Newton and Leonardo DaVinci had to put up with ass-beatings as kids??