Saturday, January 07, 2006

Just Do It!


Over the past few weeks and months, things here at the cottage have become, um... somewhat disorganized. (Yeah... disorganized... sort of like after a massive airstrike).

Since neither of us are working today, we have decided to spring into action and get to it; cleaning, dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing, organizing and basically doing our best impression of a white tornado.

We have to... we are tearing our hair out. (Well... I don't really have all that much hair to tear out, since I keep it about 1/16th of an inch long... but, you get the picture...)

While we love our little cottage, the main problem here is lack of storage space. Every closet is poised to explode its contents all over the room as well as the hapless individual who has the poor foresight to actually turn the doorknob..

Every horizontal surface is therefore a storage space candidate... which can lead to some rather odd questions at times...

During the holidays, we like to put a large tree in our living room. This necessitates a campaign of furniture rearrangement that would put most moving companies to shame.

Feng Shui experts have learned not to come anywhere near Thistlebright Cottage during the holiday season for fear of ending up in a shock induced coma.

I am personally hopeful that we will come across Jimmy Hoffa and Amelia Earhart someplace in the house, under a pile of clothes or behind some books or something...

I am fairly certain that there is actually an extra room behind one precariously large pile, but I haven't been able to fight my way past it yet.

When Elysia asked me what sorts of cleaning supplies we might need, I suggested a backhoe, and she wrote it on the list without batting an eye.

For the last two weeks, we have had to don blindfolds prior to actually entering the house, and we simply feel our way around with our hands. To actually look around causes severe brain contusions and my eyes are still bleeding from the last glimpse.



It is my goal to restore this place to a state that fosters serenity, peace of mind, and mental relaxation. As it is right now, one would think that a pair of slavering, barking lunatics live here.

The bright side of living in a small, cozy little cottage is that it takes a relatively short time to clean it up and whip it back into shape.

So. That is my plan for today. I have to steel my mind and deepen my resolve to be brutal when it comes to culling out the unnecessary shit and tossing it out on the curb. I am notoriously bad about this... wanting instead to save pocket lint and the little strips that are left when one tears a page out of a spiral notebook rather than actually throw something away!!!

We really can't afford to keep much in the way of un-needed crap here, though... we simply don't have anyplace to put it, and I, for one, am becoming somewhat tired of having to sleep on top of the silverware!!

3 comments:

Marcheline said...

That wasn't the silverware, dear...


- M

Wraiths said...

Oh thanks, I escape to the internet for a few minutes as a break to the monthly house cleaning with my wife and what do I get? A story about house cleaning. Good luck, should we send a search party if we don't hear from you for a while?

Anonymous said...

Ah, my friend, I have two magic words for you that saved my marriage. Storage locker.

Sallybelle