Monday, June 27, 2005

A Tribute to Quiet Courage...





In the course of my life, I have had occasion to witness the many forms of human courage and intrepidity. In some cases, courage takes the form of steadfastness when facing physical harm or death, and in others it manifests itself as moral courage. Of late, I have been witness to a quieter, subtler, but no less admirable form of courage.

I am talking about the long-suffering, non-complaining, consistent, never-quit, never-say-die kind of courage. I am talking about the kind of courage that doesn't scream, wave its arms, or draw attention to itself. I am talking about the kind of courage that simply does what has to be done, without making a fuss over anything. In many ways, this is the most difficult and draining type of courage, because it isn't exhibited in short bursts... its a long standing courage that is constant and unceasing. You may have to look closely to notice this sort of courage, but whether it is noticed or not, it is still there, behind the scenes. It takes a particularly strong constitution to be able to maintain balls the size of church-bells over the long haul. But I know somebody who has done just that.

I have had the considerable honor of knowing somebody, who, without fail over the course of the past many years, has consistently faced all manner of difficult situations with a quiet, unswerving form of courage that I have come to admire a great deal. This person has been called upon to face a multitude of trying situations, ranging from extreme financial problems, to employment difficulties, to complicated family troubles. There have been deaths in the family, grave illnesses of close family members, and painful, incapacitating injuries. I have seen this individual prove their mettle in the near loss of their place of residence, and the subsequent flooding of that residence, and have seen how they measure up when moving an entire household from one state to another while suffering from a moderately severe illness. Through the days, weeks, months, and years, I have watched how this one remarkable individual has demonstrated calm determination, tenacity, and competence while facing both the large catastrophes and the small annoyances that fate has dealt them.

In each case, I have learned something about that person. I have learned that no matter how difficult, regardless of the circumstances, and without thought to their own personal comfort or convenience, that this is a person upon whom I can rely, in good times and in bad.

I have developed a deep and abiding respect for this individual. And I am proud to be able to call this person my friend. I consider myself lucky to be able to work alongside such a one, and am extremely proud of the fact that I have earned the love and respect of that person in return.

I'm talking about my wife, folks. She is a trouper. In all of my life, whether as a soldier, an airman, a cop, a fighter, or a martial artist, I have never known another to exhibit the quiet, gutsy, determination and tenacity that I have seen in this woman. She never nags, never complains, and never beats her chest or announces what she has done. She simply does what she has to, and moves on to the next thing. I think she is a badass!

This post is a tribute to Elysia... my friend, my partner, my life, and my love. I could never ask nor hope to have a better person looking out for me, and guarding my back.

Thanks, Baby, for always being there, and for always doing what you do; doing what has to be done, whenever it has to be done, in that low-key way that you have... you are amazing!


 

3 comments:

Gerald T said...

Very cool you found some one rare

http://fleeting-improvised-man.blogspot.com/

Marcheline said...

Right back atcha, babe! I couldn't do it without you.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Oh, you two just make me feel all fuzzy and warm inside!

Just like me and the 'mister'....