Sunday, June 12, 2005

Summer Mornings...

When I woke up yesterday morning, it was sunny and bright and gorgeous (Just like today!). I stood and tested out the knee, and though it was a bit tender and hurt a smidge more than it had, the swelling had gone down and the bollicky weird feeling had subsided a wee bit.

I suggested to Elysia that we head to the gym. At first, I think she thought I was a barking lunatic for having suggested it, but when I explained that I could work on other parts of my body, and avoid stressing the knee at all, she agreed, provided that we pick up a decent knee-brace on the way. So, we washed-up, dressed, and headed out.

We got the knee-brace and headed to the gym for a hard, grunting, deliciously difficult workout, then headed home for a light lunch of yogurt and melon.

I was scheduled to tend bar for a party, so off I went. It turned out to be a bar mitzvah, which, as a rule, I don't enjoy because the kids tend to get unruly and out of control, and it is generally unpleasant. I take each job with the same mind-set however, and do my damndest to make sure that I give the very, very best service that I can possibly deliver. The folks seemed happy with me, many of them secretly slipping me tips (Host gratuity at these parties, which tends to not be very much at all, which sucks for the bar staff... because we usually work twice as hard at these parties for some reason -- one of those immutable laws of the universe -- the other downside being that if the host observes you accepting a tip, they get very offended, having already given what they consider to be enough. What they generally give is pretty much almost nothing in most cases... (sigh..)) The guests at this party, however, were extremely demanding, and when I managed to make their drinks precisely the way they preferred, and managed to keep them smiling and laughing in so doing, they apparently (well, quite a few of them, anyway...) decided that I deserved a little something extra... so they found novel ways to leave me tips without upsetting their host (I tell them right up front - "The host has already provided a gratuity, I can't accept any tips, but thank you very much for offering..." -- some folks, however (bless their generous souls!) decide to take this as a challenge on how to circumvent the rules... so they put money in a napkin, slip bills into my pocket, place a tip underneath the fruit platter, or under a bottle of booze, or any number of ways... the net result being that I did fairly well, and came home happy, if sore).

One of the games I like to play in my head at these parties is to match the kids to the parents. Its pretty weird how you can do this using personalities as a guide; arrogant kid - arrogant parents, timid kid - timid parents, sweet kid - sweet parents, kid you would enjoy drowning like a rat - parents that you would enjoy drowning like rats. You live what you are taught, I suppose. In this case, even though the people were demanding regarding their orders, they were also polite and pleasant, with very few exceptions. So, it was a good day.

Today, waking up next to my beautiful wife was delicious.. there was a soft breeze, the ever so light tinkling of wind chimes outside... birdsong, sunshine, and 'Sunday Baroque' on NPR. After a lovely morning of caresses, kisses, loving, and soft conversation, we showered up and Elysia made a pot of heavenly chocolate and almond coffee... which I am enjoying as I write this!

We are heading to Borders Bookstore today on a magazine hunt for Elysia.. 'W' Magazine is supposed to have an Angie and Brad spread that Elysia is hungering for... so hopefully we will meet with success in our search. We will sit and read and drink tea and chat and play chess and watch the other people and generally have a nice time.. for us, a trip to Borders is a much-enjoyed, and much looked forward to experience...we're weird, I know.

Tommorrow, I am sure that they will start in on me when I head in to work. That's fine. I'm prepared to jump right back in their faces. Fucking with me in a case like this is remarkably like mud wrestling with a pig; everybody gets filthy and dirty, but the pig loves it!

I have a bonafide injury, which was most likely exacerbated by their stupid fucking policy that only applies to me!, and if they think they are going to browbeat me or intimidate me in any way regarding the day and a half that I took to let the knee recuperate, they are very sorely mistaken and apparently have no clue what they are in for. </ANGER AND VITRIOL>

For today, however, I don't have to think about that crap.. I have the rest of the day to relax, enjoy my garden, enjoy the day, and mostly, spend time with my wife, which, when all is said and done, is the most valuable, and most wonderful thing of all...

No comments: