Sunday, November 04, 2007

Fractal Vegetables



I came across this amazingly beautiful and intricate vegetable while perusing a library book yesterday... (yes, I know its pathetic; I actually take out books from the library about vegetables. ....You don't know the half of it!)

I was at once stunned and enchanted by the spiraling patterns within patterns.. the impossible beauty... Why haven't I ever heard of these things before now?!?!

There was no label identifying the photo in the book, so it took me a little digging around to find out what on earth I was looking at.

And so, my friends. Without further ado, I introduce to you -

The 'Broccoflower'.


Thanks to Syd - (who has de-lurked in order to lend me a hand!), I have learned that this thing is actually called a -

'Romanesco Cauliflower'

or a -

'Romanesco Cabbage'


I have learned cool stuff!! Thanks again, Syd! Don't be a stranger!

Is this thing cool, or what?!?! - AND - you can EAT IT!!! HA!!

4 comments:

Marcheline said...

I think I would rather just look at it... it can't possibly taste better than it looks, can it?

- M

Anonymous said...

*de-lurks*

Hi. I've been enjoying your posts for several months now--wonderful writing, and an intriguing view of the world. Thanks for sharing!

And the beautiful veggie is a Romanesco cauliflower, although depending on the region, it's also called Romanesco broccoli or Romanesco cabbage. (I guess it can also be called "broccoflower," but per Wikipedia, that's a trademarked designation for a broccoli/cauliflower cross that looks like standard white cauliflower except it's green.)

Anyway, the Romanesco is indeed a thing of fractal beautiful...

*re-lurks*

Anonymous said...

Aw, gee... ***blushes*** Glad to be of service, Bear!

kimmyk said...

I don't know that I could eat that.
Okay maybe with some cheese sauce I could...it looks too pretty to eat but in a wierd sort of way.