My bones chill and my skin crawls at hearing these simple words; "Got a Second?"
Because, in my experience, they are generally followed by some comment, information, or news that either:
- Entirely craps-up my day.
- Generally pisses me off.
- Is designed to make me feel unworthy of living and breathing.
- Communicates to me that I am in trouble, fired, or no longer involved in a personal relationship... or, that I either owe money I didn't expect to owe, or will not be receiveing money that I am expecting to recieve.
- Utterly cramps my style and screws up my plans.
- Changes my life and/or lifestyle in a deleterious manner.
- Indicates that the agreement that we have previously arrived at is now null and void, and that there isn't a damned thing I can do about it.
Today, after hearing the dreaded "Got a second?", I was told that it was no longer financially feasible to continue to fill my position. So, as of that moment, I was out of a job. As a consolation prize, they agreed to pay for half of the day tomorrow, and in return I don't have to get up, get dressed, and go in to the office.
I have tried to convey to various individuals over the years that in fact I DO NOT have a second... but, alas, this has not helped my case a bit. They always barge on ahead with their crappy news... and, as it turns out, I have a second, whether I want to or not.
Being asked if I 'Have a second?' is nearly as bad as being told that somebody has put something that is vitally important 'in a safe place'.
Back to the drawing board, I suppose....
Next time somebody asks me if I 'have a second' they very well may just get knocked out.