'Bear Tracks' has received its 10,000th hit! Here is the info as displayed on my sitemeter:
Domain Name [ REMOVED BY REQUEST ].com ? (Commercial)
IP Address XXX.XXX.XXX.# [ REMOVED BY REQUEST ]
ISP Control Room Tech.
Continent : North America
Country : United States (Facts)
State : Michigan
City : Lansing
Lat/Long : 42.7257, -84.636 (Map)
Distance : 613 miles
Language English (United States)
Operating System Microsoft WinXP
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/184.108.40.206
Resolution : 1152 x 864
Color Depth : 32 bits
Time of Visit Jan 10 2007 11:18:47 am
Last Page View Jan 10 2007 11:18:47 am
Visit Length 0 seconds
Page Views 1
Referring URL http://mrssplapthing.blogspot.com/
Visit Entry Page http://beartrackst2nowhere.blogspot.com/
Visit Exit Page http://beartrackst2nowhere.blogspot.com/
Time Zone UTC-5:00
Visitor's Time Jan 10 2007 11:18:47 am
Visit Number 10,000
Whoever you are, YOU are my 10,000th hit! Thanx!
(To Anonymous Visitor #10,000 who prefers to remain anonymous: I have removed the information as you have requested. My apologies for having posted it. It should have occurred to me. Sorry, my friend...)
I wanted to post something special with regard to this somewhat momentous occasion (You only get a 10,000th hit once in a lifetime, after all!) So, I decided to post some interesting facts about the number 10,000. Enjoy!!
|Unicode symbol(s)||X, ↂ|
|Greek Prefix myria-||(obsolete)|
10000 (ten thousand) is the natural number following 9999 and preceding 10001.
Most languages call 10000 'ten thousands', but some languages have specific words for it: Ancient Greek μύριοι, Aramaic ܪܒܘܬܐ, Hebrew revava, Chinese 萬/万 (Mandarin wan, Cantonese maan6), Japanese 万/萬 [man], and Korean 万/만/萬 [man]. It is often used to mean an indefinite very large number.
The Greek root was used in the earlier versions of the metric system in the form myria-.
- In scientific notation, it is written as 104.
- It is also written as 1 E4
- It is the square of 100
- It is the square root of 100 000 000
- A myriagon is a polygon with 10,000 sides.
10 km, 10,000 m, or 1 E4 m is equal to:
- 6.2 miles
- side of square with area 100 km²
- radius of circle with area 314.16 km²
The classical Greeks used letters of the Greek alphabet to represent Greek numerals: they used a capital letter mu (M) to represent 10000, whose name in Greek is myriad.
1040000 = 1000010000 The value of a myriad to the power of itself, written (by the system of Apollonius of Perga) as a little M directly above a larger M.
In anatomy, each neuron in the human brain is estimated to connect to 10,000 others.
In astronomy, asteroid Number: 10000 Myriostos, Provisional Designation: 1951 SY, Discovery Date: September 30, 1951 by A. G. Wilson :List of asteroids (9001-10000)
In climate, Summary of 10,000 Years is one of several pages of the Climate Timeline Tool: Exploring Weather & Climate Change Through the Powers of 10 sponsored by the National Climatic Data Center of the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration.
In computers, NASA to build 10,000-processor Linux computer (it is actually a 10,240-processor) news NASA Project: Columbia
- Land of 10,000 Lakes is the nickname for the state of Minnesota.
- Land of 10,000 Trails or 10000trails.com was originally created in 1999 by the TN/KY Lakes Area Coalition. This organization is made up of individuals in West Tennessee and West Kentucky who have an interest in seeing tourism grow by developing trails throughout their region.
- Ten Thousand Islands National Wildlife Refuge is situated in the lower end of the Fakahatchee and Picayune Strands of Big Cypress Swamp and west of Everglades National Park in Florida.
- Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes in Alaska
- There is no ZIP Code 10000, however ZIP Code 10001 to 10292 is New York City
In geology, a list of Largest Volcanic Eruptions in the Last 10,000 Years.
- Myria is an obsolete prefix that denoted a factor of 10+4, ten thousand, or 10,000.
- Myrio is an obsolete prefix that denoted a factor of 10−4 or one ten-thousandth).
- 10,000 hertz, 10 kilohertz, or 10 kHz of the radio frequency spectrum falls in the very low frequency or VLF band and has a wavelength of 30 kilometers.
- In orders of magnitude (speed), the speed of a fast neutron is 10,000 km/s.
- In orders of magnitude (volume), the volume of 10,000 cubic kilometers or 10,000 km³ equals 1 × 1013 m³. Lake Superior contains 12,232 cubic kilometers (km³) or 2,935 cubic miles of water.
In scientific units.
- 10,000 square meters meters is one hectare.
In Zoology, there are approximately 10,000 species of Birds.
10,000 BC, 10,000 BCE, or 10th millennium BC.
10,000-year clock or the Clock of the Long Now is a mechanical clock designed to keep time for 10,000 years.
In art, Xenophon, on his Retreat with the "Ten Thousand", first seeing the Sea, painting by Benjamin Haydon.
In computer software,
- Powers of Ten Thousand is a technique for browsing a very large space, the macroscope, involves taking the visual device of Powers of Ten and compounding it, using the computer's ability to combine, change and display images interactively.
- the Year 10,000 problem is the collective name for all potential software bugs that will emerge as the need to express years with five digits arises.
- the new 10,000 Iraqi dinar banknote has Abu Ali Hasan Ibn al-Haitham (known as Alhazen to medieval scholars in the West) on the front and Hadba Minaret on the back. The old bill had a picture of Saddam Hussein and Samarra: Spiral Minaret- Al-Mawiya.
- the Japanese 10,000 yen banknote has a portrait of Fukuzawa Yukichi.
- the U.S. Ten Thousand Dollar Note bill has a picture of Andrew Jackson or Salmon P. Chase.
- 10,000 Black Men Named George (2002) (TV)
- 10,000 Bullets reviews films that most review sites overlook. - http://www.10kbullets.com
- The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues (1956)
- Vietnam: The Ten Thousand Day War (1980)
In finance, on March 29, 1999 the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 10,006.78 which was the first time the index closed above the 10,000 mark.
In futurology, from Visions of the Future: The 10,000-Year Library by Stewart Brand. Much of the information of the past--as well as the present--is endangered or lost forever. Underground rock vaults, "time mail," and a museum built around a 10,000 year clock are some of the ideas for assuring that vital information survives future crashes of civilizations.
- each of the nine Mahjong character suit tiles (1 to 9) represents ten thousand (wan) coins, or one hundred strings of one hundred coins.
- Ten Thousand Year Ko is a one of the rules of ko in the board game of Go.
In game shows, The $10,000 Pyramid ran on television from 1973 to 1974.
In handicrafts, Ten Thousand Villages is a nonprofit program which provides vital, fair income to Third World people by marketing their handicrafts and telling their stories in North America.
- Army of 10,000 Sixty Day Troops, 1862-1863. American Civil War.
- The Army of the Ten Thousand were a group of Ancient Greek mercenaries who marched against the Persian Shah Artaxerxes II.
- The Goddess can appear as the "Lady of the Ten Thousand Names", as did Isis who was called Isis of Ten Thousand Names.
- Katyn Massacre - "The Lost 10,000" by Louis FitzGibbon from The Journal of Historical Review - the killing of Polish prisoners of war by the Soviets in 1940.
- The Ten thousand martyrs from The Catholic Encyclopedia.
- the Persian Immortals were also called the Ten Thousand or 10,000 Immortals, so named because their number of 10,000 was immediately reestablished after every loss.
- The 10,000 Day War: Vietnam by Michael MacLear ISBN 0-312-79094-5 also alternate titles The ten thousand day war : Vietnam, 1945-1975 (10,000 days is 27.4 years).
- Tomb of Ten Thousand Soldiers - defeat of the Tang Dynasty army of China in the Nanzhao kingdom in 751.
- the Chinese, Japanese, and Korean phrase "live for ten thousand years" was used to bless emperors in East Asia.
- Μύριοι is an Ancient Greek name for 10000 taken into the modern European languages as 'myriad'.
- Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese and Korean have words with the same meaning.
In law, Section 9-10.000 of the United States Attorneys' Manual deals with capital crime.
- Man'yōshū (万葉集 Man'yōshū, "Collection of Ten Thousand Leaves") is the oldest existing, and most highly revered, collection of Japanese poetry.
- Ten Thousand a Year 1839 by Samuel Warren.
- Ten Thousand a Year 1883?. A Drama, in Three Acts. Adapted from the celebrated novel of the same name, by the author of the Diary of a Physician, and arranged for the stage, by Richard Brinsley Peake.
- Ten Thousand Monkeys is a web publisher - "10,000 monkeys at 10,000 typewriters banging out the best in short fiction." http://m10k.net/.
- The Ten Thousand: A Novel of Ancient Greece by Michael Curtis Ford. 2001. ISBN 0-312-26946-3 Historic fiction.
- The World of the Ten Thousand Things: Poems 1980-1990 by Charles Wright ISBN 0-374-29293-0 ISBN 0-374-52326-6.
- Ten Thousand Lovers by Edeet Ravel ISBN 0-06-056562-4
In museums, The Museum of 10,000 Wonderful Things is in London.
- 10,000 Days is the title of the fourth studio album by Tool.
- Ten Thousand Fists is an album by Disturbed.
- 10,000 Hz Legend album by Air 2001
- 10,000 Maniacs is a US rock band.
- "10,000 Men" is a song by Bob Dylan.
- "Ten Thousand Men of Harvard and Harvardiana" is a fight song of Harvard University.
- "10,000 Miles Away" rock song by Mötley Crüe.
- "10,000 promises" is a song by the Backstreet Boys.
- "The Ten Thousand" is an indie rock band from Saint Louis[www.myspace.com/thetenthousand].
- 10,000 Promises. is a Japanese popular music group.
- 10,000 Things is a band in the United Kingdom.
- 10,000 Lakes Festival is a music and camping festival in Minnesota.
In philosophy, Lao Zi writes about "ten thousand things" in the Tao Te Ching
In Zen Buddhism, the "10,000 Things" is a term meaning all of phenomenal reality.
In physical fitness, 10,000 Steps Program is a walking exercise and health program.
Walking 10,000 steps is the approximate equivalent of walking 5 miles.
In psychology, Ten Thousand Dreams Interpreted, or what's in a dream: a scientific and practical, by Miller, Gustavus Hindman (1857-1929). (Project Gutenberg download)
In regional planning, 10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania is an alliance of organizations and individuals committed to promoting land use policies and actions that will enable Pennsylvania to strengthen its diverse urban, suburban, and rural communities and reduce sprawl.
- the Bible,
- has 41 references to "ten thousand" in a search plus 11 more for "ten thousands" in another search for a total of 52 references in the King James Version.
- 10,000 Prophets includes quote from Jude 1:14 And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,... The Epistle of Jude.
- Revelation 5:11 "And I beheld, and I heard the voice of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands;" (KJV) The Apocalypse of John
- The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas is a branch of the Dharma Realm Buddhist Association (DRBA).
- Temple of 10,000 Buddhas or Monastery of 10,000 Buddhas is in Hong Kong.
- hymns, Ten thousand times ten thousand.
- "Ten thousand ages in Thy sight/Are like an evening gone"
- In athletics, 10,000 meters, 10 kilometers, 10 km, or 10K (6.2 miles) is the final standard track event in a long-distance track event and a distance in other racing events such as running, cycling and skiing. Example: Statesman Capitol 10,000
- in bicycle racing, annual Tour of 10,000 Lakes Stage Race in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
I hope you have found some of my facts about the number Ten-Thousand informative, and, perhaps, amusing. The fact about the number Ten-Thousand that I am most fond of is that you have all found enough of interest in what I have had to say over the past years to stop by and devote a bit of your precious time to reading what I have written. I have come to know many of you over the years, and I believe that I am better for it.